Emma by Jane Austen

“I may have lost my heart, but not my self-control”

-Emma, Jane Austen

Emma

Emma Woodhouse is introduced to us as ‘handsome, clever and rich’ and, according to Jane Austen, a heroine ‘which no one but myself would like’. Yet such is Emma’s spirited wit that, despite her superior airs and egotism, few readers have failed to succumb to her charm.

The comedy turns on Emma’s self-appointed role as an energetic match-maker for her sweet, silly friend Harriet. Emma herself, meanwhile, is confidently immune to the charms of the male sex. Her emotional coming of age is woven into what Ronald Blythe has called ‘the happiest of love stories, the most fiendishly difficult of detective stories and a matchless repository of English wit’.

IMG_20180816_151018_413

Emma:Review

Emma who has fixed her decision for not ever getting into a relationship is a match-maker and does a terrible job of uniting couples who weren’t really meant for each other. Thanks to Mr.Knightley for advising her. I think the story should actually revolve around Harriet who gets into trouble all the time. Also, I found Emma to be very selfish. She overruled Harriet into not marrying Mr. Martin rather than making her realize she had something for him too. I didn’t find Emma witty at all. In fact, she is the villain of the story for trying to manipulate who should pair with who according to her. The story would have been wonderful if it was from Harriet’s point of view!
The description of ball parties covered half of the book and was a bit enjoyable. Conversation over something unimportant gave the story a slow pace in between when the reader is actually looking for some answers!
Book review – ⭐⭐⭐/5

17 Comments Add yours

1. Sabiscuit says:

It was a fun story to read. I only got into Jane Austen in my 20’s after the films came out, and especially after the Pride and Prejudice mini series. I was captivated by how interesting her characters were. She was a fierce woman, and it was good to witness the social values and customs of her time. She was writing at a time when you couldn’t write about women and men tearing their clothes off. Our culture has changed so much, and we are a bit overexposed. I think that takes something away from our mystery and allure. It’s the stuff that makes a romance special.

1. jalapenogirl says:

I am aiming to read more of her books. Her era was absolutely so enlightened and different. It amuses me. Which of her other books would you highly recommend other than Pride and Prejudice?

1. Sabiscuit says:

Sense and sensibility and Persuasion

2. jalapenogirl says:

I have both in a combo big book! ☺️

3. Sabiscuit says:

Cool. I should probably get one of those but I’ve run out of space for books.

4. jalapenogirl says:

I would love to see your book shelf. If you can create a photograph for a post. That would be great!

5. Sabiscuit says:

I’ll figure something out. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Sabiscuit says:

Hey girl, I took some photos for you. I’m at the Starbucks and one of my friends who is a manager, did some handwritten messages on 24 cups. If you drink coffee out of paper cups, you could do a lot of fun art before disposing of them. Especially because your posts are sometimes really short, you could literally write the text of the posts on the cups.

7. jalapenogirl says:

Wow. Nice idea! Will check out your photos. ☺️

8. Sabiscuit says:

Check your email. ❤️💕🌺🧡💚😍

9. jalapenogirl says:

Sure. I will revert you at the earliest.

10. jalapenogirl says:

Hello, will you please re-send it on rakhi.chem.engg@live.com

11. Sabiscuit says:

That’s the email address I sent it to. Sent again.

12. jalapenogirl says:

The Japanese writing on the cups seems so so cool ❤️ I have replied you. Please tell me the translation so I can upload it as my Facebook cover photo with both of our blog address.

13. Sabiscuit says:

Actually part of a very long message of over 24 cups. I can tell you part of what it says. Gimme a second.

14. Sabiscuit says:

Sure, you can go ahead and add my blog address to your Facebook page. Please use this short link.

shorturl.at/lmGMO